The Carbon Market Institute is an independent membership-based not-for-profit organisation.
We aim to assist Australian business in meeting the challenges and opportunities associated with the developing national and international carbon markets and thereby build capacity to grow in a low-carbon world.
The CMI is an independent not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. We acknowledge the significant funding support provided by the Victorian Government in establishing the Institute. The funding provides for a range of deliverables over the first three years of operation to achieve the following objectives:
- Promote good governance of carbon risks and issues.
- Assist Australian industries with the implementation of climate-related markets and associated business opportunities.
- Work in concert with Australian industry and other key stakeholders to position Australia as an emissions trading hub for the Asia-Pacific region.
- Advance the education and training in response to Australian industry’s needs in relation to moving to a lower carbon economy.
- Conduct research and market analysis to keep Australian industries informed of characteristics of the domestic and international climate-related markets.
- Be an active independent clearinghouse and standard setter for reliable and unbiased carbon market information.
- Support Australian industry’s engagement with international climate-related markets by facilitating and coordinating market information access and business cluster activity.
- Work in concert with relevant organisations, providers and stakeholders, as appropriate, to develop and implement standards and accreditation procedures for the Australian carbon market.